You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Does your engine tick?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads DiscussionMessage format

ahoutzer
Posted 2011-10-15 2:06 PM (#99107)
Subject: Does your engine tick?

Puddle Jumper

Walhalla, SC. USA
When my Cross Country Tour's engine is *not* under load -- just cruising -- the engine makes a log of tickety-tickety noise. It happens a lot at 45mph in 4th gear or 35mph in 3rd gear, which are both very common for my riding. This really distracts from the enjoyment of the ride, having the engine sound like a rickety old tin lizzy.

Is this common on these engines, or is there something wrong -- if so, what?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
40vegas
Posted 2011-10-16 9:25 AM (#99169 - in reply to #99107)
Subject: RE: Does your engine tick?

Puddle Jumper

It's a common trait of these engines due to the overhead cam/valve set up. It isn't anything that is going to cause trouble, just the way a Victory motor sounds. Personally being a mechanic I enjoy the sound.
gcefalo
Posted 2011-12-12 5:57 AM (#103257 - in reply to #99107)
Subject: Re: Does your engine tick?

Puddle Jumper

Simpsonville, SC
Not trying to start an oil thread, but my engine is one of the more quiet 106's I have heard. The only thing I did different was to use the amsoil 20w50 motorcycle oil as soon as it was broken in. I asked the dealer's mechanic about using the 10w40 and he said the 20w50 makes the motor a little more quiet.
Big Vic
Posted 2011-12-12 3:18 PM (#103301 - in reply to #99107)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Dido on the Amsoil 20/50. I don't want to start an oil thread either all I'm saying is try it and judge for yourself.
Roadrocket
Posted 2011-12-12 10:45 PM (#103324 - in reply to #99107)

Cruiser

B'ham, Al.
Mine as well re: the 20-50. However I don't use Amsoil but rather a syn-blend 20-50 of another brand.
ahoutzer
Posted 2011-12-13 6:42 AM (#103331 - in reply to #99107)

Puddle Jumper

Walhalla, SC. USA
Now I'm looking forward to my next oil change, to eliminate ticking noise. Less than a thousand miles to go.

Will this big V-twin bike start in fifteen degrees with 20W50 oil in it? I once had a Honda Shadow V-twin that would wear out a battery and still not start if the weather was under 30 degrees. My last bike was a V-four, which had smaller cylinders, and would start instantaneously down to 20 degrees, or in less than two seconds of cranking down to eight degrees. That's as cold as it gets here.
Victory1
Posted 2011-12-13 5:46 PM (#103361 - in reply to #99107)

Puddle Jumper

My 2011 did tick rather loudly when in nuetural with out the clutch pulled in. This is a known problem with the torque compensator. Polaris will replace the springs free of charge. You will then have a 2012 transmission. It is a one time free replacement, they will not return it to a 2011 tranny for free. I had mine done about three weeks ago. I have put approx. 500 miles since. No regrets. The ticking I had was very annoying

thi
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2011-12-13 7:07 PM (#103367 - in reply to #103331)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
ahoutzer - 2011-12-13 7:42 AM

Now I'm looking forward to my next oil change, to eliminate ticking noise. Less than a thousand miles to go.

Will this big V-twin bike start in fifteen degrees with 20W50 oil in it? I once had a Honda Shadow V-twin that would wear out a battery and still not start if the weather was under 30 degrees. My last bike was a V-four, which had smaller cylinders, and would start instantaneously down to 20 degrees, or in less than two seconds of cranking down to eight degrees. That's as cold as it gets here.

My '03 V92c and '10 Vision have had no problems starting in weather like that and they both use Amsoil 20W50 Vtwin oil. If you are concerned about the weight, try the full synthetic Rotella T6 5W40 (available at Walmart). I've run that in the heat of the summer without issue and I'm sure it would be fine in the cold.

ammo_umb
Posted 2011-12-16 5:39 PM (#103570 - in reply to #99107)

Puddle Jumper

It's valve noise and it is normal if the noise is the same with your clutch in or out. Open your car hood and straddle the engine and you'll hear similar noises. Note that people that have come from riding without a windshield and/or fairing notice it the most.
ahoutzer
Posted 2011-12-16 6:10 PM (#103572 - in reply to #103570)

Puddle Jumper

Walhalla, SC. USA
I come from riding a Royal Star Venture, which is (like the Victory) a SOHC engine on a bike with fork-mounted fairing and tall windshield - very much like my Victory XCT. This is my ninth bike since 1977. I've ridden over three hundred forty-five thousand miles, but never heard this rickety ticking noise. It really detracts from the impression of quality that this bike otherwise gives.
Ranman
Posted 2012-09-12 9:39 PM (#123522 - in reply to #103361)

Puddle Jumper

Victory1 - 2011-12-13 5:46 PM

My 2011 did tick rather loudly when in nuetural with out the clutch pulled in. This is a known problem with the torque compensator. Polaris will replace the springs free of charge. You will then have a 2012 transmission. It is a one time free replacement, they will not return it to a 2011 tranny for free. I had mine done about three weeks ago. I have put approx. 500 miles since. No regrets. The ticking I had was very annoying

Ditto for me. Took it in to Volusia Motorsports and they fixed it. No noise and I am not embarrassed to let it idle in neutral around HDs.

thi
a99miata
Posted 2012-09-13 3:22 PM (#123558 - in reply to #99107)

Tourer

northwest florida
what ticking?
robsxct
Posted 2012-09-26 10:48 PM (#124313 - in reply to #103572)

Cruiser

Halifax, NS

ahoutzer - 2011-12-16 8:10 PM I come from riding a Royal Star Venture, which is (like the Victory) a SOHC engine on a bike with fork-mounted fairing and tall windshield - very much like my Victory XCT. This is my ninth bike since 1977. I've ridden over three hundred forty-five thousand miles, but never heard this rickety ticking noise. It really detracts from the impression of quality that this bike otherwise gives.

I realy realy agree with you on this.

Even with all the talk on how good these motors are, that ticking and the clunky tranny makes me wonder every ride.

I to have had many big bikes with full faiiring and lowers with over head cams and hydrolic lifters and have never had to listen to such a racket before.

I sure wish they would address this

vic2004-08
Posted 2012-09-27 8:41 AM (#124328 - in reply to #99107)

Cruiser

Lusby,Md
Then get another bike then
jvrydex
Posted 2012-10-05 7:09 AM (#124694 - in reply to #99107)

New user

You don't need another bike. If you're like me, once you've gotten some miles on it, you'll probably become accustomed to the racket- Car-crash type shifts and "normal" engine noises will fade into the background after miles of smiles. OK, maybe not the shifts- they ARE loud. If a rider is coming from any of the Japanese makes, it is a bit of an adjustment. Keep in mind that fairings bounce a lot of that engine noise back to you, too.

Back to the tick.

I've seperated the noises into two groups:

"Normal" engine noises. Like was suggested earlier, they do sound a lot like the noise you hear when you open the hood on a newer car with fuel injuction and overhead valves.

Then there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC10A2bKc0Q&feature=plcp

This was my XCT before the first oil change @ 500 miles. Pay special attention to what you hear when I shut the engine off. Several months and 5000 miles later, this noise still comes and goes. It presents itself after the bike is good and warmed up- 20 to 30 miles into a trip, and especially when riding the slab at 65-70 or riding a little more agressive with buddies. It might last for 50 + miles and it might go away after 20, but it is LOUD and annoying. So much so, it can be heard by other riders with loud exhaust-even when I'm ahead or behind them. If yours is doing this, it is NOT normal. If you can't view the video, it sounds like several angry people waiting for their Oriental food, banging their metal chopsticks on tables.

I suspect a lifter or two is at fault; maybe there's more. I'm having my dealer get into it soon, when riding season is over and I can update here with the results.

Give your new ride a chance to break in and yourself some time to adjust. Ride with some other Victory owners- They're out there with 100,000 miles on their bikes with not a single problem. I won't be able to say that, but I don't care. Once the big tick is fixed, this will have been the best bike I've owned yet.

jv
densred12xc
Posted 2012-10-05 11:42 AM (#124722 - in reply to #99107)

Puddle Jumper

Fostoria Ohio USA
Regarding the oil viscosity, I have in the past on my 04 Kingpin (6 quarts) used half 20w50 and half 10w40 during the colder weather months without causing any kind of problems. I always used the same brand when I mixed.

Edited by densred12xc 2012-10-05 11:44 AM
GrogAV
Posted 2013-06-27 8:16 PM (#140987 - in reply to #99107)

Puddle Jumper

20/40 20/50 oils. The 20 means that it coats and flows like a 20 WT oil when the engine is cold. The 40 or 50 means that it coats and flows like 40 WT or a 50 WT oil when hot. So on cold start up both should act the same. The difference is when the engine is hot. Just don't use any oil the says energy saver in bikes with a wet clutch as these will cause your clutch to slip. My brother bought a bike that the old owner had done this on his last oil change, it took a long time to burn that stuff out of the clutch plates on a GL1500 Valkyrie.
Ramundo
Posted 2015-06-15 10:37 AM (#172774 - in reply to #99107)

New user

Saved for along time to buy my 2011 CrossRoads. What a disappointment.

My engine ticked from day one. If I had ridden the bike before purchase, I never would have bought it. Dealer refused to do anything (Tri County Polaris, Cincinnati), said it was normal, although other bikes I had ridden on demos did not tick. Second dealer (Treggressor Polaris, Hamilton, Oh) gave me the same run around. Complained online to Polaris. No response was given. Engine knock is severe at idle with clutch in or out, but worse out. Knock stops under load but returned under deceleration or idle.
Ramundo
Posted 2015-06-15 10:37 AM (#172775 - in reply to #99107)

New user

Saved for along time to buy my 2011 CrossRoads. What a disappointment.

My engine ticked from day one. If I had ridden the bike before purchase, I never would have bought it. Dealer refused to do anything (Tri County Polaris, Cincinnati), said it was normal, although other bikes I had ridden on demos did not tick. Second dealer (Treggressor Polaris, Hamilton, Oh) gave me the same run around. Complained online to Polaris. No response was given. Engine knock is severe at idle with clutch in or out, but worse out. Knock stops under load but returned under deceleration or idle.
Ramundo
Posted 2015-06-15 10:39 AM (#172777 - in reply to #123522)

New user

What did the dealer change you? Was it still under warrentee?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™