You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

2018 Star Venture
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

V92SC
Posted 2017-07-03 6:44 PM (#192053)
Subject: 2018 Star Venture

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
I have been eating up everything written about the new Yamaha Star Venture. The bike is gorgeous and after reading it definitely gives a nod to our beloved Visions. The floor boards front and rear, frame mounted faring, air oil cooled long stroke twin, 18 in. front hoop and 16 in rear hoop. Loaded with electronic technology the way Victory could have done to save the Vision and the rest of the models, but it really wasn't their call. I'm seriously thinking of getting one pending on the results of a test ride as my Vision has 118K on the clock and we all know there will not be any updates ever again. Smh.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bones
Posted 2017-07-03 7:10 PM (#192054 - in reply to #192053)
Subject: Re: 2018 Star Venture

Puddle Jumper

Rossville, IL
Yup, I've been eyeing them also and is what the Vision shoulda, coulda, woulda been. Weight of them has me a little concerned but will reserve judgment until after a test ride.
Bones
Posted 2017-07-03 7:53 PM (#192055 - in reply to #192053)

Puddle Jumper

Rossville, IL
Ha, funny...just watched another video of the bike and noticed they stole the Vision Riders logo on their console screen startup image!!! I really think those Yammi engineers have been listening to our wants for a newly redesigned Vision! It's uncanny how much they copied the bike including the operation of the electric windshield, aluminum subframe, and a lot of our desires to have the Cross Country style bags instead of the Visions. Love all the electronics including the separate audio for private phone conversations and music selections. Finally found a video clip with the bike running and I'm impressed with the sound for a jap bike. If I buy, will probably be the first bike I've ever bought that I won't do a thing to performance wise....
BumbleDB
Posted 2017-07-03 8:35 PM (#192057 - in reply to #192053)

Cruiser

Since I passed the 100K mi mark, I'm figuring that I can milk another year out of the viz while they work out the first year niggles on the Yam. I spent most of my life riding non-cruiser yamahas, and will be happy to get back on one. From the moment they released it, I thought they were specifically targeting the Vic crowd. I think they knew years ago ( like I did ) that vic was going to be a casualty of Indian. I'm glad they stepped up to the plate.

The vic will remain in the garage along side my old yamaha sport bike.
twocell
Posted 2017-07-04 6:38 AM (#192058 - in reply to #192053)

Puddle Jumper

Lackawaxen PA United States
have to agree Vision written all over it ... I too will wait for the first year bugs to be sorted out .... doesn't seem as if Polaris has any Visians in mind & kinda getting an anti-Indian feeling .... you know "dem bums" attitude
rdbudd
Posted 2017-07-04 10:29 AM (#192059 - in reply to #192053)
Subject: RE: 2018 Star Venture

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Yep, I agree. That new Yamaha is the evolution of the Victory Vision. It incorporates all the things we love about the Vision, and all the things we have been asking for on an updated Vision.

Polaris loses---Yamaha wins.

Ronnie
Bones
Posted 2017-07-04 11:21 AM (#192060 - in reply to #192053)

Puddle Jumper

Rossville, IL
Here's the clip with the bike running. I've not been this excited about a bike since the Visions first came out and can't wait to test ride one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5xrXv0BDU
Bones
Posted 2017-07-04 11:26 AM (#192061 - in reply to #192053)

Puddle Jumper

Rossville, IL
Watch at the 0:22 second mark and tell me what that looks like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrSfikWjO4k
huts'putt
Posted 2017-07-04 11:58 AM (#192062 - in reply to #192061)

Cruiser

Racine, WI United States
Sorry, but till actually seeing the bike in person, would I consider this an alternative to a Vision.
rdbudd
Posted 2017-07-05 3:48 PM (#192069 - in reply to #192061)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Bones - 2017-07-04 11:26 AM

Watch at the 0:22 second mark and tell me what that looks like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrSfikWjO4k

Are you talking about the Visionesque power windshield, or the Vision-Rider's logo on the infotainment screen? Lol.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2017-07-05 3:49 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2017-07-07 8:07 AM (#192075 - in reply to #192053)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I got to actually see one in person and sit on it I told the Yamaha factory rep that I read it was really heavy... they weren't offering demo rides as they only had one to show but they were demo riding all the others. He said why don't you get on it and see. It absolutely blew my mind. I was able to take the bike off the side stand without even using my hands I was able to sit on it Rock the bike up words it comes off the side stand way easier than my vision. Not that I have problems with my vision but I definitely can't take my vision off the side stand without using my hands..

The headlight on that thing is amazing it was very high-tech and modern-looking and very effective he showed me an accessory catalog at they have for the thing the accessories they have also blew my mind they created an entire book of accessories before the bike is even launched.. you can add even more light if you want..

He gave me a demo of the infotainment Center it was something that amazed me and pissed me off at the same time. It pissed me off at Victory was never able to come up with something like this. When he showed me you could do two independent radio stations at the same time if your passenger has some type of headphones or earphones or whatever it is that was amazing that both of you can listen to Independent radio stations integrated CB satellite radio GPS engine management system etc etc..

Another thing that blew my mind was it has electronic park assist you pull a lever and it has an electric motor that will push you forward or backwards depending on what you wanted to do so if you're pulling into a very tight spot you can use the electric motor or if you want to pull out of a tight spot and not use the motorcycles engine for fear you might jump forward or what not it can all be done with this electronic park assist..

The seat was extremely comfortable as well , and the trunk was one of the deepest trunks I've ever seen... they also had a cutaway of the engine in a glass case showing a technology they have a special type clutch similar to the one that you can purchase from Lloyds that increases pressure with RPMs. They were claiming to have 126 pounds of torque stock... they started the bike up sounded pretty good considering they have to meet noise regulations..

I know I'm forgetting some other things right now but it was a lot better in person then it was reading about it online. And a lot of preconceived notions I had about the bike based on the technical specifications I read or absolutely wrong. When I read what it weighed I thought it was going to be a boat anchor... yet it was easier to get off the side stand than my vision
jimtom
Posted 2017-07-07 10:14 AM (#192076 - in reply to #192075)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
I agree , the 2018 Venture should have been the next generation Vision. I will test this bike also as soon as possible. I'm considering it very seriously.
jimtom
Posted 2017-07-08 8:20 AM (#192081 - in reply to #192076)

Visionary

as I posted on the VMC, I'll bet the headlight is easier to change
V92SC
Posted 2017-07-15 8:55 AM (#192102 - in reply to #192053)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
I just compared the 2018 Venture specs with those of the 2017 Vision and they are uncannily similar. There are a few deviations, but I'll attribute that in part to the added weight and some of the idiosyncrasies of the Yamaha design philosophy yet they remain eerily similar, also one add called the styling " Polarizing ". Sounds familiar ey.
lstayner
Posted 2017-07-16 9:53 AM (#192104 - in reply to #192053)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
I planned to make Star days this year, but work got in the way. They brag on the Bridgestone Excedra tires in the video. They would have to come off before I left the dealership. They are a cheap tire that won't last more than 8k miles from my experience.
iluvink
Posted 2017-07-18 5:29 PM (#192108 - in reply to #192053)

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
I like it, but is the center of gravity any higher, and the riding position as long legged? Are there tip over protectors? That said.. does the gas cap leak...is it difficult to add gas to..do the saddle bags not close quite right....does the trunk rattle...does the radio suck at picking up stations...is the paint not great?? But then run and ride beautifully...things you get used to.
Bull
Posted 2017-08-05 9:24 AM (#192151 - in reply to #192053)

Puddle Jumper

, WI United States
My bike prior to getting my Vision 2 years ago was the big Yamaha Road Star Silverado. Loved the engine and the technology that Yamaha has. Not very comfortable though at all and according to the GF the passenger seat was terrible. I can stretch out and relax on my Vision all day long and the GF absolutely loves the passenger seat. I can tell just from the pics of the Yamaha that the seating isn't up to the Vision. I've only got 25K on mine and I've put the Loyds timing wheel and top filter in mine which really bumped the power, acceleration and even beefed up the exhaust note. And only getting better mileage if anything. I'll ride my Vision thanks, and BTW the Polaris dealer that sees the bike is absolutely awesome customer service and I did not ever find that when I was a Yamaha owner. If something happens to the bike I am sure there will be some nice used Visions out there. Just my two cents...
Boots
Posted 2017-09-05 11:48 AM (#192219 - in reply to #192053)

Tourer

New Mexico
Much as I am wanting to support "Made in USA", this may be my next bike. It is everything the Vision should have evolved in to - Just makes me sad.

I guess test rides available in October time-frame, so will check out comfort then.
jimtom
Posted 2017-09-05 11:59 AM (#192220 - in reply to #192219)

Visionary

video from pucpuc on the venture. Also just read where there is an issue and yamaha says now the bikes won't be available to those that preordered until december and Yamaha is offering a $1,000 in accessories credit for the inconvenience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fc23b0Nz_g
jimtom
Posted 2017-09-05 12:02 PM (#192221 - in reply to #192220)

Visionary

a passenger perspective.

https://youtu.be/31rJOHWvNt8
V92SC
Posted 2017-09-09 10:33 PM (#192235 - in reply to #192053)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
Yamaha just released the Star Elude bagger version of the Venture and it looks badass. IJS.
V92SC
Posted 2017-09-10 5:35 AM (#192236 - in reply to #192053)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
Yamaha just released the Star Elude bagger version of the Venture and it looks badass. IJS.
jimtom
Posted 2017-09-10 9:38 AM (#192239 - in reply to #192236)

Visionary

Eluder does look cool. Name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue for me . prefer the venture. I will always opt for the trunk version . I use it everyday . going to ride one again next Saturday, this time with the wife and get her perspective.
jimtom
Posted 2017-09-18 5:14 AM (#192259 - in reply to #192053)

Visionary

I rode the Venture again this weekend , this time with my wife. It's a no for us. Don't mean to offend all the ATGATT nazis but she had open toed shoes on and the left side felt like it was cooking her foot and my left thigh underneath was on fire. It is as hot as my Indian and that is a deal breaker. I have to take the lowers off to ride the Indian in the summer. The 2nd thing that made my decision was we made a couple of VERY mild left hand turns , very mild , about half the lean angle of the vision and it scraped. Now being as it happened on the left each time , it could be the kickstand , I don't care what it is if it scraped at that angle , my first thought was, I couldn't even ride it on the dragon. My Indian and the Ultra Limited HD I tested did not scrape at steeper angles.

Edited by jimtom 2017-09-18 5:15 AM
Don07tncav
Posted 2017-09-18 4:19 PM (#192261 - in reply to #192053)

Cruiser

Rode it also this weekend two up and it was ok at best. The wife liked the back seat but not the grips and the floorboard position was too low for her. It was in the middle position. I liked the power and the gadgets but couldn't figure out how to start it. The Venture is not as roomy as the Vision for me.

Come to think of it, the entire ride was all right turns and I didn't make any left turns. Hummmmmm.... For now and the foreseeable future we'll ride Visions.
Is it a contender for us? Yes, I'd ride it over a Indian after what Polaris has done to the owners and dealers.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™